Thursday, October 25, 2007

Good Things

Okay, I'll admit it. Even though I don't have it listed on "my What I've Been Watching Lately - TV," I have, on occasion, (well, maybe a few occasions), watched Martha Stewart while home on maternity leave. (I have also watched some other unspeakable things - Young and the Restless: Out of the Ashes - but I'll save comments about those for another time.) I have never been a big fan of Martha. In fact, I have never been any fan of Martha. I don't hate her or anything, I just don't fully appreciate Martha's appeal. This has disappointed at least two of my aunts, who measure most decorating tasks they undertake by some unknown Martha factor.

Martha has just always seemed a bit too stuffy for me. However, since her stint in the slammer, she has become a bit more fun. I saw her on Late Night with David Letterman a few weeks ago (yes, I have been watching late night TV a lot also), and Dave was being pretty edgy with her and she seemed to be having a good time. She even made her own jokes about some weird plant pod thing she had brought called hairy balls. (She also talked about this on her TV show that day. Not that I was watching.)

Those of you who are not Martha fans may not know that she has a segment on her show called "Good Things." I didn't realize until recently that was the source of my aunt saying, "It's a good thing" in a funny voice. I guess "Good Things" are her (or more likely, her staff's) little discoveries of things that she has found useful or likes, such as products or crafts.

Recently, I have been thinking about all the "Good Things" that have been happening to me, family, and friends. So, in honor of Martha, the Bodeans (no, no, no, don't pass me by BoDeansGood Things), and the Fine Young Cannibals (good thing, where have you gone? Fine Young CannibalsGood Thing), here is my list of good things:
  1. The sun is shining today.
  2. The sun was shining yesterday.
  3. It hasn't rained since Sunday.
  4. Jack and I went for three walks already this week.
  5. The leaves are at their peak here.
  6. We are predicted to have the longest stretch of no rain since the end of July.
  7. We had visitors from Wisconsin last weekend (Janet and Pat).
  8. We have visitors from Indiana coming this weekend (GML family).
  9. My friend, Aaron, got engaged (to a girl named Erin).
  10. My cousin, Darcy, got engaged (to a boy named Bryon).
  11. I cleaned the cupboards today.
  12. Jack's Halloween costume arrived in the mail this week, just in time for his 1st Halloween party this weekend. (Stay tuned for pictures.)
  13. The Clever King got his Xbox back today.
  14. Jack slept for six hours last night!
  15. The Office is on tonight.
  16. I talked with Nick's dad on Yahoo messenger yesterday (go, George, with your high-tech self).
  17. My friend, Kris, got a great new job.
  18. The fires in California are getting under control.
  19. We have managed to not eat most of the mound of Halloween candy that I bought a couple of weeks ago.
  20. Tomorrow is Friday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Amy,
I love your blog. Man, is that kid cute.

STRETCH

Anonymous said...

Nick, I am so glad the x-box has returned! :)