Monday, October 8, 2007

Parcel from New Zealand

When we returned home from our adventure to Madison a week or so ago, we were lucky enough to come home to a special thing - a parcel (or what we call a package here in the States) from New Zealand. It's always fun to get something in the mail other than the usual assortment of bills, requests for campaign donations, and circulars (advertising fliers for you Yanks), and something from Nick's family overseas is a special event.

Nick eagerly tore into the parcel. He had made a special request to his family for an All Blacks outfit for Jack and they did not disappoint. For those of you non-Kiwis who are wondering, "what kind of crazy father requests an all black outfit for his newborn son, don't most normal babies wear blue, green, and yellow," let me explain. The All Blacks are New Zealand's national rugby team and they inspire a cult-like following, particularly by my husband and father-in-law. If you are American, it is difficult to understand the magnitude of a whole country following the same team playing the same sport. I guess it would be like if all of the die-hard Packer, Cub, and Badger fans united together to cheer for a common cause. When visiting my in-laws last fall, I had Nick teach me the New Zealand National Anthem on the long drive from Queenstown to Milford Sound so I could impress my father-in-law, George, by proudly singing along before that Sunday's rugby match. I won several daughter-in-law favor points by doing so. (Note to self: will have to learn the Maori verse on the next trip to bank a few more.)

Not only did Nick's family send an All Blacks outfit, but an All Blacks hat, mittens, and booty set. Their timing couldn't have been better, as the weather has turned cool and we finally gave in and turned on our heat last Friday. Jack also lucked out with a new Stretch and Grow (known as Sleep and Plays in "American"), lots of fun socks, and a beautiful sweater, handmade by Auntie Jean and purchased by Nanny from the hospital shop where Auntie Jean volunteers by selling the sweaters she knits with her amazing talent. The sweater is the perfect size to fit Jack in the heart of winter. There was also another snuggly sleeper that will fit Jack soon and will keep him warm all winter. Grandad tucked in a kiwibird key chain for Jack, which Mommy will carefully safeguard until Jack is old enough to have his own set of keys.

Nick said the All Black outfit and package (almost) made up for the loss that the team had suffered to France in the Rugby World Cup earlier that weekend.

Jack begged us to let him model the clothes right away, so we acquiesced. I swear, he can be such a prima donna. Please see his runway shoot below.





A note from Jack:
Thanks, Nanny, Grandad, and Uncle Michael for all the cool stuff. Hope you don't feel too bad about the All Blacks. As I told Daddy....

There's always 2011.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Always good to hear from you about what's happenin'

Love to all!

Dad

Jen Dockerty said...

Oh my gosh TOO CUTE! I love the All Blacks shoes! the picture in the car seat with the hats mittens and shoes is my favorite! You are a woman after my own heart with your photos! Love it, keep them coming. From now on we will root for the All Blacks I promise, of course it helps that I don't know any other teams! : )

All About DK said...

Ok...so he is just so cute I can't stand it! Presents are always fun and it looks like Jack got some good ones. Love the All Black booties. Keep taking lots of pics, they are great. K :-)

GML Family said...

He is absolutely adorable! Love the pics! I can't believe how big he is getting already! Even more so- i can't wait to hold him next week!!!!

:) Hugs and kisses